I met a friend in a mall last month while having our shopping. When I saw that friend, I was feeding Felix on a bench while Mark was doing the shopping for a better deal for the thing we planned to buy.
Both of us were excited to see each other but she's a little bit disappointed as Felix was sleeping all the time, she's waiting for him to wake up:). Something happened that make me start thinking about the social expectation. She's a Chinese who only speaks Cantonese and she was so shocked after I told her Felix has a chinese name. Furthermore, there's a point where Felix's stretching and I asked if he plans to wake up (in Mandarin), that almost dropped her jaw followed by a question to me: Why are you speaking Mandarin to him? My response's: Why not? A part of his life going to be a Chinese due to the mother. Her final conclusion to me was: He's white, he's American. Well...how can he has only American blood by growing in me for 9 months:P
Questions from that incident:
- Does it make Felix weird to have a Chinese name?
- What perception is he going to give to others by speaking Mandarin while other Chinese children only speaks English (most of the time are Manglish)? I personally will give him a thumb up as I was so impressed with a mixed boy (Father is German while mother is M'sian Chinese) at the kindergarten I worked for years ago that speaks fluent Mandarin.
- Does it not make sense that a half-chinese boy has a Chinese name?
- And, what make it acceptable or cool for an Asian/ non-Christian to have a western/ Christian name?
- Are those people really understand the origin or meaning of the western/Christian name they chose and is it necessary for them to have one to replaced their Chinese name?
- Who can decide blue is for boys and pink is for girls?
- Is there any regulations that boy cannot wear pink?
No comments:
Post a Comment